Giving back during the holidays is something I strive to do every year. Last year, I hosted a segment on my blog/Instagram called a Week of Gratitude. I listed seven acts of kindness (one for each day) and challenged my readers to do it with me. I’m not sure what I’ll be doing this year, so I started making a list of some options. So without further ado, here are 5 ways to give back this holiday season. I hope this inspires you to do something great!
1. Donate Toys for Tots. You’ve probably seen the Toys for Tots cardboard boxes at various businesses in your area. My office has one in our lobby and I’ll definitely be donating unwrapped presents this year. To make an even greater impact, group together with your friends and family! For Thanksgiving, ask each guest to bring one unwrapped toy for Toys for Tots. It’s a wonderful way to spread the holiday cheer for children that may not have otherwise opened presents this year.
2. Volunteer at your local senior living center. A few years ago Bryan and I volunteered at a senior living center in Philadelphia during the holidays. It was Bingo night and we had a blast! We walked around the center giving gifts to the residents while inviting them to join us for Bingo. They were so nice and definitely appreciated the company.
3. Camp out for hunger. Bryan participates in an event called Camp Out for Hunger every year. It’s a five day event hosted by a local radio station where people are able to drop off canned and nonperishable foods. Bryan goes down for one day and assists donors in loading their food into collection bins. We’re talking about car/truck loads of food! I’m sure other organizations do something similar, so check Google for events in your area and get involved.
4. Clean out your closet. Take an hour this weekend and go through your clothes. Donate anything you haven’t worn in a while to help someone in need. Even more important, go through your cold weather accessories too. Old coats, hats, gloves and scarves are much needed during this time of year. But don’t stop there. Many organization also accept shoes, blankets and bedding, kitchenware, toys, electronics and sporting goods. We like donating to Purple Heart, but there are many organizations to choose from.
5. Purchase gifts that give back. Get some of your Christmas shopping done early this year and purchase items that give back, such as TOMS and FEED. Did you know you can now find TOMS at Target?! A brand you may not have heard of is Grounds & Hounds Coffee Co. They are committed to donating 20% of their fair trade coffee revenue to support no kill rescue organizations. I’ll be talking more about this company and their delicious products in December (there may also be a little somethin’ for you, if you’re lucky).
*I updated the fonts on the blog so hopefully it’s now more readable. If it looks the same to you as before, you have to clear your cache/history in your browser and reload my site. It should be nice and pretty now.
To see where I’m linking up, check out my Link Party page!
Don’t forget to follow me on: