If you’re living under a rock, let me introduce you to Kaitlyn Bristowe. She was the star of the 11th season of ABC’s The Bachelorette. In my opinion, she was the best bachelorette. Kaitlyn’s quirky personality kept me entertained each week. Okay, maybe it was also the hunks on her season (ahem, Shawn B – the guy she picks at the end, Ben Z – the body builder, and Ben H – the upcoming Bachelor). I liked watching Kaitlyn because she’s super relatable. She’s a former dancer, she curses a lot, she loves Nirvana, her favorite color is black, and she wouldn’t be caught dead in a puffy princess wedding gown. We have a lot in common!
When I was given the chance to interview Kaitlyn, I jumped on the opportunity. We chatted all about her health and fitness routines, a recipe she loves from Shawn’s sister, and a lot of other random facts. Keep reading!
Photos via Booje Media
1. How did you stay healthy while filming the Bachelor? What foods did you eat? Were you able to fit in workouts?
I’m one of those obnoxious people with a crazy fast metabolism. I thank my mom everyday for that. I happen to enjoy working out, but on that show you don’t get a lot of sleep. So when they said I could workout or sleep, I would choose sleep.
2. What is your favorite workout routine?
I absolutely live for spin classes. Now that I’m with Shawn, I don’t mind lifting weights because he shows me what to do!
3. I’ve never tried a spin class. I need to get on that STAT. I’m a former dancer though, like yourself. Do you still take classes?
Thatta girl! There is no better workout than a dance class. I miss it so much, but I haven’t gone in a while.
4. Let’s talk food. What’s your go-to healthy breakfast recipe?
I love a simple breakfast – eggs, toast and turkey bacon (and duh coffee). But Shawn’s sister, Meghann, makes these UNREAL protein pancakes. Blend 1 scoop protein powder, 2 egg whites, 1 egg, 2 tablespoons cottage cheese, 1/4 cup oats, and a dash of baking powder. Coat the pan with baking spray or coconut oil, and add blueberries if desired. Top it off with syrup or agave and cinnamon!
Photos via Instagram @KaitlynBristowe
5. What’s your go-to healthy dinner recipe?
I like making healthy tacos with ground turkey, Mrs Dash spices (the best seasoning – no sodium), lots of cut up peppers, onion, a little bit of shredded cheese, chopped up jalapenos, and corn tortillas. Then, I make my own mango pineapple salsa! You just chop up cilantro, pineapple, red onion, and mango, add lime juice, salt and pepper. Don’t forget the guac.
6. How do you stay balanced with how busy you are?
I just really try and go for the healthiest options I can. So if Subway is quick and easy, I try and do a tuna chop salad instead of having the bread every time. I try and get quick shakes to help keep me full. Now I’m lucky because Shawn has teamed up with a registered dietitian and nutritionist, and they put together meal plans for you! They tell me what to eat and how much to eat every day to stay fit. His website is shawnboothmeals.com. You can portion it all out for the next few days. I’m starting my 12 week program on the 4th!
7. What are some tips for staying healthy while traveling?
I like to keep almonds in my purse and drink a lot of water. It definitely helps. I know at Starbucks you can get veggies and dip. It’s just about smart snacking in between meals. Shakes, almonds, water and veggies!
Photos via Instagram @KaitlynBristowe
Quick Question Time!
8. I drive a: Jeep Wrangler and a Ford Escape
9. In my purse right now is: uhm everything – makeup, keys, perfume, a comb, a deck of cards, headphones, notepad, pen and who knows what else
10. My top three beauty must-haves are: MAC Face and Body Foundation, eyelash curler and Kat Von D Contour Kit
11. I’m most proud of: myself to be honest. Where I’m at in life just seems so right, and it’s from the steps I’ve taken and people I have surrounded myself with. I’m just proud of who I am.
12. My favorite guilty pleasure is: wine and Netflix
Photo via Booje Media
13. If I had to describe myself in three words they’d be: vivacious, confident, quirky
14. My favorite social media platform is: Snapchat for suuuurrre
15. If I could travel to any place in the world right now, I’d go to: The Canary Islands, Spain
16. My typical Starbucks order is: I have two – a grande Americano with one inch steamed milk and one pump of cinnamon dolce (ugh, that sounds so annoying) OR a nonfat chai latte with a shot of espresso in it.
17. My favorite past bachelorette is: I haven’t watched them all! I’ve only watched a few, but I think Trista because she was the first, and she’s so so sweet.